Saturday, November 26, 2016

A Wandering Eye and Your Why




I have done it.

You have done it.

We're not proud about it after the fact.

Truth is, the grass is not greener on the other side.

It starts when you get that wandering eye. The idea that maybe... just maybe... if you try something new or different, it will be better than what you had. You act on it. It turns out to be really disappointing.

That is what happened to me. I cheated on my company hoping to get bigger and better things. It backfired. One item stopped working after a month. The other did not work as effectively as I expected. Obviously, I could have saved that money and put it toward a better quality item that has lived up to its name. However, I had to know.

Perhaps you have been there, too. You question your loyalty to a product, company, or certain people in your life. As one mentor asked, "How can what you are doing impact the world for the better?" If you cannot answer that, perhaps it is time to reassess your activities and purpose. I cheated on my company in hopes of finding a bargain only to find what I had in front of me was the best thing all along.

Once you have found that thing you love and want everyone else to benefit from as well, stick with it. Loyalty goes a long way not only in relationships but also with brands. If you have chosen a certain company to share with others, then own it. Know the information, know the reason why you love it, and always continue learning. When you become a leader in your field, you will sooner or later become an expert and then others will look to you to figure out how you have come so far.

Start with these questions to figure out your 'why':

1. What am I passionate about?

2. Does my current situation bring me joy?

3. What skills or strengths do I have?

4. What is my purpose?

5. How am I serving others?

You may think that your sphere of influence is too small to really make a difference. Keep in mind that a single drop in water creates a ripple effect that expands farther than the eye can see. Or as one of my favorite quotes puts it, "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito."

Cheers to your 'why' and making a difference in the world.

Yours in Health,

Dr. D

No comments:

Post a Comment